Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Concert Ukulele Construction Project

Finished Ukulele








Concert Ukulele Construction Project

The Neck




The

Concert Ukulele Construction Project

Finishing Touches

This ukulele will be auctioned next year at a school fundraiser, so the appropriate logo was inlayed into the headstock (the school's fox). I filled the routing gaps with epoxy mixed with rosewood dust then pore filled the entire headstock with the same epoxy. This hides any routing mistakes I may have made.


For the body, after fitting the bridge to the top it was time to pore fill the walnut, sand everything and get some finish on it. I went with a simple can of polyurethane.  














Monday, March 4, 2019

Belt Buckle

Created another belt buckle. This features Macassar Ebony (I think), maple binding, aluminum and black epoxy. The inlay is a logo of a school and will be auctioned off at a fundraiser. I finished it with Tru Oil. Applying light layers, building it up, then leveling with 0000 steel wool, and then applying more. 





Sunday, February 24, 2019

Ukulele Construction

This is a cool opportunity to use those small scraps and other unused pieces hanging around in the shop. You can build these out of anything you want. I recently was a part of a demo project at work. We were taking down a gazebo that had been there for decades. As I was tearing off these cedar shingles I thought to myself, "these may make good top material." Well we will see.