Thursday, April 17, 2014

What distinguishes you from other businesses in your category?

The biggest difference is other businesses probably make a profit. I’ll get there one day! Maybe another difference is my willingness to try materials that may not fit the traditional mold. In 2009, I acquired a board of blue stain beetle kill ponderosa pine. I thought it had potential to make a cool guitar top. It turned out great! It is a real Colorado guitar. I used Douglas fir as an acoustic top material (when spruce is the more popular choice) and it sounds wonderful too. I think I was inspired to do use these kinds of materials by Bob Benedetto. He is a world renowned guitar builder and in his book he took the time to build a construction grade pine topped archtop jazz guitar. Said it sounded and played just as good as any of his other guitars made from choice tone woods. I like that out of the box thinking and creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment